legal swap!?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: legal swap!?

SupraForums Member

legal swap!?

Oh snap is it really legal to swap a 7mgte into a non turbo chassis?! or a 1jz for that matter!?

Not familiar with the laws of california, but me and a friend were discussing it and since it comes with 3 motors on that one chassis you can swap either of the 3 into it, is what i understand.
    7mgte- e85,1000cc injectors,dual walbros,vpc,safc2... Etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

This is why California has so many inmates, you are going to jailllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.
    7M-Clevite bearings, Eagle Rods, Carillo Pistons, Treadstone TR1235 Intercooler, Tial F46, HKS SSQV, Mishimoto Radiator & Clutch Fan, Apexi Neo, Beech Performance stuff & adding more...

It might run right......? yakuzastinger's Avatar
    u can swap a 2jz into a mk3 if u leave the emmision on it. basically u have to swap a newer engine into your car that is US emission legal and u have to update a federal emission legal engine to a cali emission legal engine. We had a customers car we were swapping a na 2j into that was moving to cali and we had to call the cali DOT to ask if it was legal we talked to a man on the phone for about 4 hrs that told us what we needed to do .

You can do an engine swap but u have to take the car to the dmv/dot and have it registered and everything on the car must be there ALL the emissions and u have to have it all DOT legal. but u MUST have the car inspected in CALI at the DMV to get the swap legal beyond your normal emissions inspections. You can call the DMV there and they can explain it more to you.

SupraForums Member
    haha good to know. Its a legit swap though, i just went to a smog shop and they smogged it and didnt even ask if it was a turbo model... so im hoping the cops will assume the same.

thank god i live in kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by TTmk3502 View Post

As a fellow Kentuckian, I cant agree more. Ive actually seen people take a car and cut off the exhaust at the headers and go register it and swap titles and everything. Only real threat is from noise complaints.

thank god I live in Florida and not California or Kentucky.

1990 Grand National Black Hardtop - Methanol powered 7M | SP61 | AEM EMS | JE | Eagle | OS valves | Tial WG | HPF Intercooler | KSracing FFIM | 272 BC cams | HKS Stopper HG | Spec 3 Clutch | Fluidyne Rad | 3" Blitz Nur-Spec Exhaust | 680cc Injs | -8AN Custom Fuel | Dual Fuel pumps | Stance Coilovers| | AVC-R| AEM Wideband | Sway Bars | Slotted/Drilled Rotors | Axxis MM Pads | Pioneer 6.5" CD/GPS/DVD | 5.25" Infinityx4 | Volk GTC 18"X9" and 18"x10" | Bomex lip | Kaminari sides | 2 Tone Leather | MC modded R154 | NSX headlights

SupraForums Member
    its why i live in mass....95 and older cars can take emissions out. all the catalytic converters and pretty much nobody cares except for noise

as far as I know in Cali, it needs to be the same year or newer motor that can be swapped

so for Cali cars, a 2jzge or gte would be fine as long as emmissions are clearly functioniing

Ive seen guys with 1uzfe in supras but I am not sure how that would fly since the Supra was never available with a 1UZ

but that what I remember as of a couple years back, rumor has it that they changed the laws regarding engine swaps
    1989 toyota Supra turbo, powered by unmotivation...

SupraForums Member XTC Dynamic Supra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yakuzastinger View Post
    u can swap a 2jz into a mk3 if u leave the emmision on it. basically u have to swap a newer engine into your car that is US emission legal and u have to update a federal emission legal engine to a cali emission legal engine. We had a customers car we were swapping a na 2j into that was moving to cali and we had to call the cali DOT to ask if it was legal we talked to a man on the phone for about 4 hrs that told us what we needed to do .

You can do an engine swap but u have to take the car to the dmv/dot and have it registered and everything on the car must be there ALL the emissions and u have to have it all DOT legal. but u MUST have the car inspected in CALI at the DMV to get the swap legal beyond your normal emissions inspections. You can call the DMV there and they can explain it more to you.
    What you're referring to is the State Ref. They'll legalize it if everything is in order. basically majority swaps can happen just as long as all the emissions equipment for that motor during that production year are all installed and the motor is the same year or newer than the chassis. example...a 1993 model motor in a 1987 car must have all the 1993 emissions stuff on it. also if the motor came out of a truck they won't legalize it. we tried to legalize a Honda CRX with USDM B20 motor out of a CRV and the ref said that since it came out of a suv they wouldnt legalize it.

daredevil racecar builder Dachande's Avatar
    California sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Dachande View Post
    California sucks
    Bottom Line.

besides the beach^

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioactive Supra View Post

As a fellow Kentuckian, I cant agree more. Ive actually seen people take a car and cut off the exhaust at the headers and go register it and swap titles and everything. Only real threat is from noise complaints.
    Hell, the exhaust shop fabbed up my cat delete for me here. Didn't even have to talk them into it. I said, "Hey, what would you charge me to toss some 3" pipe up in there where the cat used to be?"

I'm from California, and I hate it there just because of all the silly government control of everything. In KY they just don't give a fuck, and I love it here.
    Chris
    1990 Mk3 Targa Turbo.... basically stock

BC is the same as long as you don't live in Vancouver you can pretty much get away with anything, the worst you get bugged for it for noise.

besides the beach^
    beach sucks too, its dirty and all the mexican go to take baths there in there clothes..... at least thats how venice beach was.... tons of weirdos out there. never been to newport. feel weird rolling a MKIII around with bugattis
    89 Mahogany Peal Hardtop 5spd Turbo

FOR SALE, SHOOT ME A PM IF INTERESTED
    http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598018

^lol at vencie. its one of the dirtiest beaches ever. go down south to Huntington or Newport in the summer nothing but hot bitching rolling around in 70* water and nice waves. or San Clemente where you can climb threw the cliffs.

cali weather> everything else.

70 water is too cold for me.

i live in cali and done this many times. you can put pretty much any motor in youre car as long as the engine and all emissions is newer than the chasis. try not to put any mods and other shit like that on yet. cuz they are supper dicks about that stuff. but if you put a 2jz in it and it passes and you decide to have another 2jz put in you wont have to do it again because that engine was already approved for youre chassis!

SupraForums Member
    Cali is doing the right thing. The other 49 states are part of the reason the ozone is going down fast. The sun used to be hot and now it actually burns because its radiation is much less filtered. Most may not give a flock because they won't have to live among the future generations that will be vastly affected. (our offspring and theirs etc)
    I use factory emissions including a cat but it's a 3" hi flow cat which passes e-tests and has no measurable differences vs a test pipe. Going with a same year or later swap is cool and can do nothing but benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Suprawill1 View Post
    Cali is doing the right thing. The other 49 states are part of the reason the ozone is going down fast. The sun used to be hot and now it actually burns because its radiation is much less filtered. Most may not give a flock because they won't have to live among the future generations that will be vastly affected. (our offspring and theirs etc)
    I use factory emissions including a cat but it's a 3" hi flow cat which passes e-tests and has no measurable differences vs a test pipe. Going with a same year or later swap is cool and can do nothing but benefit.

thanks captain planet.... so while the US is so ECO friendly and you think your going to change the OZONE think of all the other major contributers to the depleting ozone that dont give a shit what happens AKA China, Russia, Iran..... your ONE car with a highflow cat isnt going to change shit.....we might as well be all driving semi trucks.... just my .02

Banned
    OP is going to get raped in prison for having an illegal swap in his car.

ibtl

Banned

HOLY FUCKING AL GORE!

Global Warming FTW, I'm cold as fuck here in Virgina. And shit, goddamn 30Degrees down in Miami today.

ahhhhhh lol degree i think i just pissed myself

I passed the sniffer with flying colors in Washington.

No cat on a 1jz. Gtfo with your global warming bs you fucking hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraTrey View Post
    Fuck I'm a retard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text